Collection: Part 3

George Digalakis makes dreamy black-and-white pictures that are both naturalistic and vaguely surreal. The flux and flow between these often-opposing forces adds visual allure to his work.

Digalakis was trained as a physician and now works in the medical insurance sector in his native Athens, Greece. He learned how to print film in a darkroom after his father gave him a Nettar camerain 1974, but he didn’t become serious about photography until 2011. He now uses the medium to express his inner world; he calls shooting images and post-processing them in Adobe Photoshop his ”getaway from reality.”

He's a hard-rock fan. "It’s the music I listen to while processing my images," he says. "Among my favorite bands are ACDC, Guns and Roses, Metallica, and Deep Purple."

I often find inspiration in various literary genres. In fact, I am currently working on a project titled '

The Constant Search for Self

The overall shape itself bears strong allusions to fertility: the placement of the human figure within deep red sacs makes them appear womb-like, while the arrangement of circular forms clearly resembles the head of a flower – its reproductive organ.

‘My work is a reflection on the search for one’s self (and the perenniality of the self) in changing circumstances. Displacement creates uncertainty but the imperative to survive and the continuity one manages to maintain despite changing conditions inspires me’ 

The Constant Search for Self shares many of their compositional techniques and symbolic references (and in the distinctive blue-grey and blood-red colour palette, it connects especially with the Trust and Obey series). Enclosed in separate, bulbous forms, there is a clear sense of the women’s isolation or entrapment, while the gesture of obscuring them with washes of colour or densely applied marks further suggests loss of visibility, voice and agency. 

Broken Liquid

Each of Young’s sculptural works are hand drawn, hand cut and handcrafted from clear sheet float glass made for windows, then laminated layer upon layer to create the final form.

“I do a lot of thinking before I even start to draw or cut.” 

“I hope viewers might imagine the work as something ‘living’ that creates the illusion of space, movement, depth and sense of spatial being,”

“I like to play with the irony between the glass being a solid material and how I can form such natural and organic shapes.” 

The texture and colour of the glass varies in every piece according to its thickness and arrangement.

The Reef of Silence Underwater

Inspired by her work 20,000 leagues under the sea, it explores a funerary venue and coral cultivation facility within underwater structure alongside investigation into cultural and environmental issues in Indian Ocean.

屏幕快照 2018-03-14 12.38.54.png

The Reef of Silence Underwater Columbarium

“Hieronymus Bosch was a mystery. No one even knows if Bosch was his real name, or exactly when he died. There are many theories as to why he created the surrealistic characters and scenes in his paintings. Some art historians say his work is based on Dutch proverbs. At least one art critic thinks medieval and Renaissance ‘dream books.” 

Bosch Redux  10.0, from The Garden of Earthly Delights

Bosch Redux 11.0, from The Garden of Earthly Delights

There’s a reason why jasonmpeterson has more than a million followers: his feed consistently kills it, post after post.

David Hurn has practiced his craft for many decades, and his davidhurnphoto feed reflects that. While you’ll see photos he shot recently, such as the one here, he also posts images from the past.

Katrin Koenning

The Beauty Of Dark Arabian Deserts

French photographer Abirato explored the deserts of the arabic peninsula for years. He brings back dark images, sometimes enigmatic. The desert is the place of a personal journey, very personal; often, only details and patterns appear.

Mountainous Landscapes

“I see it as a kind of ‘zero trace’ version of land art where the environment remains untouched by the artist, and at the same time is presented in a sublime way which speaks to 19th century Romantic painting and science and fictional imagery,” said Wu to Colossal.

For his ongoing series Lux Noctis, the Chicago-based photographer utilizes modified drones as aerial light sources, illuminating obscure landscapes in a way that makes each appear new and unexplored.

The light from his GPS-enabled drones create a halo effect around some of the presented cliffs and crests when photographed using a long exposure. An elegant circle of light traces the flight of the drone, leaving a mark only perceptible in the resulting photograph. 

“Restricted areas” series by Danila Tkachenko

Paintings of Children with Animals

Loving relationships between wildlife and children set against atmospheric backdrops painted in black watercolor.

“My subject are often children and animal because they are honest, sincere, unprejudiced and unpretentious,” shares Edijanto. “They give me so much inspiration for a particular mood or atmosphere, such as tranquility, solemnity, and also wilderness and freedom, which I put on my paintings.”